Beef & Mushroom Pie
A deep dish beef and mushroom pie in flaky crust.
Write a review
1 hr 10 min
1 hr 10 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 203
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 23g
Saturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrates 29g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
To Make Crust
- Cut butter into flour until size of oats.
- Pour ice water over and quickly scoop together into a ball.
- Frissage the dough (drag little bits of a time across the counter with the palm of your hand to evenly incorporate the butter).
- Divide in two discs. Chill in fridge while making filling.
To Make Filling
- Brown ground beef. Drain, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add a little butter and mushrooms to pan. Sautee until golden. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add butter and flour to pan. Cook until thickened. Slowly add in milk. Bring to a simmer and stir until thickened.
- Add mushrooms and beef to sauce. Set aside.
- Roll out one disc of pie crust. Lay in a deep dish pie plate (I use a springform pan).
- Place meat filling in crust.
- Roll out second crust and top pie. Allow some gaps for venting of steam.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes, or until golden brown.
- If using a springform pan, allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before un-moulding.
- Allow to sit for a further 20 minutes before slicing.
Vintage Kitchen Cooks http://www.vintagekitchencooks.com/